City Council Vacancy - Ward 1
On Tuesday, November 28th, the 2023 General Election results were certified by the Whitman County Auditor, confirming Councilmember Francis Benjamin as the newly elected Mayor of Pullman, Washington. As such, Benjamin’s City Council position will be considered vacant on January 1, 2024.
In concurrence with state laws, the City of Pullman will be taking the following steps to fill the vacant position:
- The application period will be open December 1, 2023 through January 9, 2024 at 11:59 p.m. PST
- Applications may be filled out and submitted online at the bottom of this page
- A PDF version of the application is also available for download at the bottom of this page or upon request in person at the City Hall front desk. Applications are requested to be submitted via the online form provided or the PDF application emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by the due date.
- Only residents living in Ward 1 and those who are eligible according to state law may apply.
Please refer to the City Council Ward Map if unsure to which ward you belong. For questions on eligibility, please refer to RCW 35A.12.030 or contact the Whitman County Auditor – Elections Department at 509-397-6270.
City Council Ward Map
- Friday, December 1, 2023 The City will post on its website at a copy of the process timeline, City Council Ward Map, application form, and contact information.
- Tuesday, January 9, 2024, at 11:59 p.m. PST Deadline to submit a completed application for interested parties to fill the remaining two years of the position.
- Thursday, January 11, 2024 Applications will be verified for eligibility, aggregated and distributed to City Council for review. Applicants will be invited to attend a special City Council meeting on January 16, 2024, for in-person interviews.
- Tuesday, January 16, 2024, at 7:00 p.m. City Council will hold in-person interviews with applicants, discuss qualifications, and by motion appoint an individual to fill the vacant position. This will be the only agenda items for this special Council Meeting.
- As early as Wednesday, January 17, 2024, the appointed individual will need to take the Oath of Office and file paperwork with the Whitman County Auditor – Elections Department. At that time, the individual assumes the appointment as Pullman City Councilmember – Ward 1. In addition, the individual will be required to fulfill all requirements with the Washington State Public Disclosure Commission and other requisite training.
- May 2025 (Dates TBD) - Anyone living in Pullman City Council Ward 1 and is eligible to hold office may file to run for election for the full four year term of this position.
Thank you for you interest, the application period has closed.