Park Info

Last Updated on Wednesday, 31 January 2018 10:08

The City of Pullman park system has a rich history of community support. The first Pullman Park was established in 1903 on Pioneer Hill later to be named Kruegel Park.  The first parks commission was established in 1906 and from that time several parks have been added to Pullman with a policy to “have a playground on each hill in Pullman.”  Many Pullman parks have developed been on donated property including Kruegel, Woodcraft, Lawson Gardens, Mary's Park (under construction), Terre View, Itani, and Petry Natural Area. The generosity of Pullman residents to donate property and resources for parks has become a tradition.

The City of Pullman boasts more than 100 acres of parkland, and 8 miles of pathways linked to the 8 mile Bill Chipman Palouse Trail that runs between Pullman and Moscow. The Downtown Riverwalk, the newest trail link to beckon walkers in the Pullman Parks and Recreation Trail System.

The passage of local Proposition No. 1 in 1999 funded expansion of the Bill Chipman Trail along the Palouse River into Pullman. Recent developments have been the additions of Terre View in 2003, Petry Park in 2005 and the development of Itani Park which began in 2006 and will be continuing through 2008. The Pullman Aquatic and Fitness Center construction was fully funded by private donation and opened to the public in 2000. The Pullman Aquatic and Fitness Center is owned by the Pullman School District and operated by the City of Pullman through an inter-local agreement. The formation of the Metropolitan Park District was established by a vote of Pullman Citizens in 2002, for a continuous funding source for Parks and Recreation programs and development. In 2007 the citizens of Pullman passed a new Proposition No. 1 initiative for improvements to park restrooms at Kruegel Park, Sunnyside Park and the City Playfields, additional trails expansion to the Maple Street Extension, Palouse Highway, and Johnson Road trails. In addition to new ballfield lights at the City Playfields.   

The Pullman School District is a significant partner in community access to recreational facilities. School playgrounds, gymnasiums and athletic fields are used for City sponsored recreation programs throughout the city. In 1990, the City of Pullman provided funding to enlarge the gym at Sunnyside Elementary in exchange for community access during non-school use. After constructing a new elementary school on Pioneer Hill, the school district offered half of the old Franklin Elementary School to the City for use as a community center. The City remodeled the 1957 portion of the building into the 8,000-square-foot Pioneer Community Center, which opened to the public in 2000.  

Washington State University (WSU) has also been a partner in community access to recreation facilities having participated in the Cougar Plaza mini-park and extension of the Bill Chipman Trail.

Park Regulations

City Playfield

820 South St (8.66 acres) Situated along the South Fork of the Palouse River are the three softball fields (Thatuna, Bowman, and Wiley) that constitute the Pullman City Playfields. This is the main athletic facility for Pullman’s summer sports. A jogging track, exercise stations, volleyball standards, batting cage, picnic tables, drinking fountains and restrooms are also part of this athletic complex. The land for the City Playfield was dedicated to the city in 1941 by Henry Cole.  Wiley Field was lighted in 1979, Bowman Field in 1985 and Thatuna Field in 2007

Conservation Park

The City’s “old nursery” site having outgrown its initial purpose made its transformation into the Conservation Park as a result of WSU student Angie Kenney’s Master Thesis; Environmental and Societal Benefits of Conserving Open Space: An in Depth Analysis and formal Park Proposal for Pullman, Washington. The Boy Scouts have improved trails and made the initial improvements to the entrance site at the western terminus of Darrow Street, Park staff added a pergola and volunteers from Windermere Realty installed the landscape. Cub Scouts have added plantings and a bench site overlooking the Palouse River. The future vision includes pedestrian connections to Cooper Basin, Military Hill, and Grand Avenue Greenway.

Harrison Tot Lot

337 Harrison Street (.233 acres) Harrison Tot Lot is designed specifically for toddlers and very young children. All equipment is colorful, imaginative and geared for use by young families. Casual seating areas, picnic table and BBQ further enhance this little park.

Itani Park

(7.45 acres) Rafik and Mary Sue Itani donated this natural linear park to the City in 1997, development of the park began in 2006. In 2010 a small gazebo was constructed in the park.

Kruegel Park

705 Dilke (7.95 acres)  Originally donated to the city in 1958 by William C. Kruegel, the park has a lovely grove of shade trees that border the spacious picnic shelter and BBQ area. Overlooking two tennis courts is an expansive playground which includes swings, and large sand area with climbing equipment. A small football field, little league baseball diamond, soccer field, volleyball standards and restrooms complete the facilities available at this lovely park.

Lawson Gardens

705 Derby (13 acres) In 1985 Gerald Lawson, a local farmer, donated the land and development funds for this beautiful formal garden complex.  The garden was dedicated in 1987 to the memory of his first wife, Alice. Oriented around a large reflecting pool and gazebo, seasonal plantings of colorful annuals accent the walkways and grassy area.  In 1990 the Pullman Rotary Club donated funds for development of a circular rose garden which was planted in 1991-92 with 600 assorted rose bushes. The Perennial Garden was planted along the east side of the garden in 1991 and provides unique and colorful displays year round.

Military Hill Park

500 NW Larry (25 acres) Set on Military Hill overlooking the fields of the Palouse, Military Hill Park is a shared facility with Pullman High School.  There are six tennis courts, two baseball diamonds, one playfield, a children’s playground, picnic shelter, BBQ's and restroom facilities. Surrounding the park is an extensive exercise trail. Development of Military Hill Park was completed in 1974 with the help of I.A.C. Funds. Quann Field, the primary baseball diamond, was outfitted with lights in 1979 and new bleachers were installed in 1992.

McGee Park

1220 Lybecker Street – off Stadium Way (3.04 acres) Land for this park near W.S.U. was acquired in 1964. McGee park has a softball diamond and fenced basketball court for youth. The basketball court was donated by a local family to be enjoyed by the youth of the community. A large picnic shelter and BBQs are situated near the children’s playground and restroom facilities.

Reaney Park

590 Reaney Way (1.64 acres) In 1910 Reaney Park was the site of a roller rink and livery stable for W.S.U. students. The city purchased the park site from Albert and Phebe Reaney in 1914. The bandstand was constructed and native buckeye trees planted in 1915. As more land was purchased the first swimming pool was built (1917). In the 1940’s the park even included a small golf area. Reaney Park is the home of the National Lentil Festival and the Reaney Park Concert Series on summer evenings. Our community’s only outdoor pools are located at the west end of the park and an extensive playground area wraps around the park perimeter.

Spring Street Park

325 Spring (2.75 acres) Located near Reaney park. The park includes a skate board facility, and public restrooms. The park has a trail link to the Bill Chipman Trail. Benches are located along the tranquil Palouse River for patrons to enjoy a quite moment alone.

Sunnyside Park

147 Cedar St (25 acres) Home of Pullman’s yearly Fourth of July celebration, this expansive park rolls with the natural terrain of the Palouse.  Cradled below grassy knolls are two ponds fed by a waterfall and connected by a babbling creek.  Graceful willows dip into the ponds and is home to assorted ducks and turtles. Development of Sunnyside Park was completed with the help of I.A.C. Funds in 1974. There is a large picnic shelter and BBQ overlooking the ponds and an adjoining children’s playground. Two tennis courts, a little league baseball field, volleyball standards, disc golf course and trails complete the athletic facilities available. The south side of the park, previously a nursery, is now used for community gardens which are available for summer rental through the Parks and Recreation office.

Terre View Park

325 NW Terre View Drive (3.25 acres) The park was donated by Ed and Mary Schweitzer in 1999. The park includes a picnic shelter, playground, wetland pond area, and public restroom.

Woodcraft Park
675 South St (.84 acres) Nestled in a quiet southeast neighborhood and sheltered by shade trees, Woodcraft park is primarily a peaceful picnic area. The park land was donated to the city in 1946.  A two-person swing and restroom facilities are on the premises.

Pullman City R.V. Park

775 South St (19 spaces) The R.V. park is tucked along the Palouse River within walking distance of downtown Pullman and W.S.U. All 19 spaces have full hookups for water, electricity, sewer and cable TV. Tent spaces with tables and BBQ’s are also available (first-come-first-serve). Chemical toilets are on the premises. Reservations may be made in advance call 509-338-3227